Aerial Spraying

Following the introduction of the Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012, the procedures for processing requests for aerial spraying has changed. From June 2012 all aerial spraying operations must be permitted by the Chemicals Regulation Directorate. The application forms together with further information and guidance can be found on the Chemicals Regulation Directorate website

The Application of Herbicide in or Near Water

A new General Binding Rule (GBR 23g) is now available within the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations (CAR) for the control of invasive non-native species of plants on land within 1 metre of a surface water.

This means that providing you are able to follow the rules within the GBR you will be able to treat invasive non-native plant species such as Giant Hogweed, Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam, American Skunk Cabbage and Rhododendron on the banks of watercourses without the need to contact SEPA.

Further guidance on the rules is available within the CAR practical Guide.

The treatment of plants other than invasive non-native species on land within 1 metre of surface waters will require a CAR Registration and the treatment of any plants in the water will require a CAR Licence. Application forms for a CAR Registration is available on the CAR Application section of the SEPA website.

The standard Registration fee will apply to the CAR Registration, however the authorisation will no longer be time limited. Providing there are no changes operators will not be required to re-apply for subsequent treatments.

NB: Consultation with or approval from SNH may also be required in certain areas and you may need to inform or notify other water users. In addition you will also need to fulfil your other legal obligations relating to pesticide spraying.

Please telephone the Helpline on 08452 302050 for any help.